Everyone loves a mystery, right?
And what is more mysterious than a 5,000 year old structure, built by our neolithic ancestors?
There are hundreds of stone circles, cairns, standing stones and structures around. Most are in Northern Europe, but they are found all over the world. No one is certain why they were built, though there is approximately one theory for every person who thinks about it.
A celestial calendar. An altar for sacrifice. A meeting place. A ceremonial center. I’ve even seen the theory of a marketplace. Sure, why not? Where else would you sell your veggies but the stone lintels of Stonehenge?
I’ve been lucky enough to travel and visit over 40 different neolithic stone structures, and hope to see more. Each one has it’s own feel, personality, and energy. If you’re truly lucky, you can find one when there is no one else about, and feel the stones themselves, listen to what they say.
Stone is enduring. It is almost eternal. It has seen civilizations rise, fall, and more rise from the ashes. The stories these stones could tell!
Here are some photos I’ve taken from stone circles and standing stones in Ireland, Scotland and Northern Ireland. enjoy!
I write historical fantasy novels, mostly set in Ireland, and a contemporary romance based on my parents’ 30-year search for true love. Don’t miss information on Celtic myth and history, as well as practical travel planning tips, and hidden places, in my travel books.
– Better To Have Loved – Contemporary romance based on the true story of my parents’ 30-year search for love
– Legacy of Hunger – Historical fantasy set in 1846 Ireland
– Legacy of Truth – Historical fantasy set around 1800 Ireland. Prequel to Legacy of Hunger. Available now!
– Legacy of Luck – Released!!! Historical fantasy set in 1745 Ireland and Scotland. Prequel to Legacy of Truth.
– The Enchanted Swans – Historical fantasy set in 500 BCE Ireland, based on The Children of Lir, an Irish Fairy Tale. On pre-order now! Release date March 8, 2017.
– Call of the Morrigú – Historical fantasy set in 1797 Ireland. Projected release date July 2017.