Once the editing, formatting, and cover art is done, the publisher will send me my Author’s Kit. This will include several sizes of my book cover, a twitter banner, ARCs (Advanced Reader Copies) of my novel to send to reviewers in .ePub, .mobi and .PDF form.
This piece of precious gold usually comes about six to eight weeks before publication day, depending on the publisher, of course. You now have all the tools you need to blast the first huge news to the world. Your book is available!
Well, sort of. It’s available for pre-order on sites like Amazon and Smashwords, or wherever your publisher has a presence. You have a link to share to everyone. You have ARC copies that you can send out to potential reviewers. You can set up your ad campaigns with the above tools.
I have a whole list of steps to do when I get my Artists’ Package.
- I buy my own book to get it started in NovelRank (a way to guess how many copies of your book has sold based on Amazon ranks. It’s not perfectly accurate, especially when the book is high in rank, but it helps).
- I set up my newsletter announcement
- I create a blog post (and share this across FB, Twitter, LinkedIn, GooglePlus, etc.)
- I add my book to Goodreads and post an author review there.
- Add book to my Author’s Page on Amazon
- Add new book cover to all the things – banners, logos, FB pages, Twitter banner, website footers, etc.
- Set up ads for the next two months of pre-order
- This is a list of over 30 ad providors, both free and paid
- I step the promotions, so that something is happening each day up to the day my book goes back to ‘normal’ price after release
- I keep a spreadsheet of what is required, as in, some need 5-10 Amazon reviews, some allow new releases, some are just for scifi/fantasy books, etc.
- Send review requests to my reviewer list
- It’s great to have a mailing list already set on Mailchimp. Quite handy, really!
- This time I’ve created an ARC review sign up sheet on Google Docs.
- Announce on various forums, such as AWWC (Absolute Write Water Cooler)
- Send an announcement to my local community arts newsletter
- Set up a blog tour/Review Blitz
- Submit for awards at various places
- Set up a FB Release Party
- Post the pre-order information on FB book/author pages
- Post the pre-order information on FB special interest pages (Ireland, Celtic, Pagan, History, etc.)
- Arrange for author interviews or blog swaps
The above list takes me at least a full 8-10 hours of work. Yes, that’s a lot of work, and the release isn’t even here yet! However, other than shouting the news at the rooftop, there’s more work now than there is when the actual release occurs.
This is an ongoing process. Writing a book is not a one-and-done thing. It’s like raising a child. Just because the kid is about to move out to college doesn’t mean your responsibilities are done!
Next is Release day!
I write historical fantasy novels, mostly set in Ireland, and a contemporary romance based on my parents’ 30-year search for true love. Don’t miss information on Celtic myth and history, as well as practical travel planning tips, and hidden places, in my travel books.
- Call of the Morrigú – Historical fantasy set in 1797 Ireland.
- The Enchanted Swans– Historical fantasy set in 500 BCE Ireland, based on The Children of Lir, an Irish Fairy Tale.
- Better To Have Loved– Contemporary romance based on the true story of my parents’ 30-year search for love
- Legacy of Hunger– Historical fantasy set in 1846 Ireland. Druid’s Brooch #1 (Now available in PRINT!)
- Legacy of Truth– Historical fantasy set around 1800 Ireland. Druid’s Brooch #2
- Legacy of Luck – Historical fantasy set in 1745 Ireland and Scotland. Druid’s Brooch #3
- Misfortune of Vision – Historical fantasy set in 12th century Ireland. Druid’s Brooch #4 (release date January 10, 2018)
- Misfortune of Song – Historical fantasy set in 12th century Ireland. Druid’s Brooch #5 (projected release date April 2018)
- Misfortune of Time – Historical fantasy set in 11th century Ireland. Druid’s Brooch #6 (first draft done – in editing)
- Turlough’s Tale – Short Story in The Druid’s Brooch series, set ten years before Legacy of Luck.
- Stunning, Strange and Secret: A Guide to Hidden Scotland
- Mythical, Magical, Mystical: A Guide to Hidden Ireland
More info at Green Dragon Artist :: Home ,